Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Captain's Log - Day 64

Captain's Log - Day 64

Hello Friends –

How’s everyone doing? Are you anxiously awaiting for things to open back up or are you content to stay safe at home for the long haul? There seems to be two very distinct groups out there and both sides have valid reasons for their opinion. Please be kind if others don’t share your views - just agree to disagree. Some things are certainly worth waiting for but it may all depend on the type of person you are. Do you dive right into the pool or do you slowly dip your toes in and submerge yourself little by little? No matter which method you use to get in, we’ll all end up swimming in the same water.

Forrest Gump’s momma was right when she said “life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you’re going to get.” Photography can be a lot like those boxes of chocolates. It’s a little different nowadays because digital cameras instantly displays the image we just snapped, no waiting is required. If we don’t like the shot, we can take hundreds more and never have to worry about reloading the film or the cost of the film and developing. Some of you are too young to remember having to wait to get film developed to see if you captured the moment you wanted to capture. There were many occasions when we were disappointed by what we got back from the lab and other times we were pleasantly surprised. I often think that having so much instant gratification takes away the thrill of the unknown that can fuel our childlike sense of anticipation. I can still remember how excited I was when I got this “Fire Ghost” picture back from the photo lab. I was only hoping to get a good silhouette but I ended up with so much more. I was unable to see the face in the flames when I hit the shutter but it was there all along just waiting to be developed. Sometimes having to wait for something makes it that much more special when you actually get it. Just think of how excited you’ll be when you can hug your loved ones again or how special it will feel to be able to go out to a restaurant for dinner or meet up with friends without needing to stay six feet apart.



We are all stuck in this strange holding pattern just waiting for things to return to something resembling normal. It reminds me of the song Anticipation:

We can never know about the days to come
But we think about them anyway
And I wonder if I'm really with you now
Or just chasin' after some finer day

Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'
...
And tomorrow we might not be together
I'm no prophet and I don't know nature's ways
So I'll try and see into your eyes right now
And stay right here 'cause these are the good old days

These are the good old days
~Carly Simon

I don’t think anyone would ever refer to this time as “the good old days” but I’m sure we are all anticipating the day we can get back to something resembling “normal.”

What do you miss the most? I know I really miss being at work complaining about not wanting to be at work.

Take care, be safe, stay home and stay strong.

Physically distant but socially engaged,
~MB

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Sugar Coating Allowed