Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Captain's Log - Day 2 - Home Base Isolation

I can't completely wrap my head around the enormity of what is happening in the world right now. It is just so surreal. It's like an eerie episode of the Twilight Zone or a Stephen King novel. How are we going to survive this? I just read a headline that the United States expects an 18 month long pandemic with mass shortages. I didn't click to read the article because I just can't take anymore horrifying news at the moment. If I slide down that rabbit hole I may never get myself back out of it.

Working from home again today was a little easier although I am frustrated that everything seems to be taking so much longer to accomplish. I'm just not set up to work efficiently but I'm going to figure out what I need to do it because it sounds like I'll be doing it for the foreseeable future.

I barely got any sleep last night. I was up past 2am, woke up around 4am and got out of bed at 6am which is earlier than I get up when I have to get ready and commute to work instead of grabbing a cup of coffee and walking in the next room. I do enjoy the easy commute and not having to wear a bra so I guess that's a bit of a gray lining - I don't think it lives up to silver status but it's something.

B went out to Stop and Shop first thing this morning to try to get some essentials. They had a small supply of toilet paper but not much else that we really needed. He walked in as soon as the doors opened and went past a guy who was filling a carriage full of single rolls of toilet paper. He walked past him and picked up a 20 pack and left. The guy just looked at him as if questioning that it could be that easy. Is this what it's come down to? If and when life gets back to (our new) normal, are we going to have quarantined shelters stockpiled with toilet paper? I just don't get it. I've offered to deliver it to friends in the area who may not have been able to get any but everyone seems to have gotten enough for now.

After being home for the past few days we were starting to go a little stir crazy so we took a drive down the beach on my lunch hour. There were crews of men working on a construction project and tons of people out on the beach like it was a summer day although most were in pairs or what looked like groups of families. The sun was shining and it was chilly but nobody seemed to mind the cold. I loved it. It felt so good to get out and get some vitamin D and some brisk fresh air before heading back to my new home office.

I can honestly say the year 2020 sucks! Not only has the corona virus shut down life as we know it but then Tom Brady announced he is leaving the New England Patriots - on St. Patrick's Day of all days. If you know me at all then you know how much this breaks my heart. I absolutely adore him. He gave us so much joy for the past 20 years and I just can't imagine him in another uniform playing for another team. It's just not right but it looks like TB12 will be playing in TB next season. How the hell did that happen? The world just doesn't make sense anymore. Of course, that assumes that they will be able to play football come September. It was a great 20 year run and I am thankful he provided so much joy in my football loving heart. I wish it were the only thing I were sad about and it almost seems trivial to even care about a stupid game but I love football. I remember being a Patriots fan when we were just excited to win a game let alone make it to the playoffs. I love Tom Brady and will root for him to win as long as he is not playing my Patriots. I'll always be loyal to my team, even if it is against my love, Tom. I wish him well and thank him for all the good times, comebacks, incredible plays and parades. I've been to all of them.
It's a sad, sad world we're living in and I wish I knew how we are going to make it through to the other side. I have checked in on people I haven't talked to in a while. I've called and asked people if they needed anything. I want to help but I don't know what to do other than to stay isolated and do what I can to prevent myself, my guy, or anyone else from getting sick. B is still recovering from prostate cancer and was scheduled to start radiation tomorrow but that has been postponed. Not only because of the pandemic but some health insurance bullsh!t. I honestly have very little confidence in our healthcare system. I have confidence in the doctors and nurses who work hard to heal their patients but it's the insurance companies that will be the death of us all.

I'm so sorry to come back to blogging and be such a downer but there really isn't much to be happy about but I'm trying to stay positive. I've been sending good morning emails to my coworkers every day offering help if they need it, give them little words of encouragement, silly bitmoji pictures to make them smile and a reminder that our mental health is just as important as our physical health. I'm trying to find the silver lining but it's not easy to spot. I'm thankful I live in a safe house with someone I love and we have what we need to survive but who knows how long that will last.

These are uncertain times when we just need to take care of each other and pray we make it through. How are you handling all of this? Are you freaking out as much as I am or are you thinking it's not a big deal? Please, please, please try to understand it is a very big deal and you could be the one who saves many by doing your part to keep from spreading it down the line. Please take it deadly serious, because it is, and stay safe my friends.

Peace ☮ and Love 💔

2 comments:

  1. Ah yeah, Brady's timing couldn't have been worse. I'm sorry about that.

    It's a scary and uncertain time, and we all have to do what we need to do to get through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - we just have to do what we need to do to get through. Sometimes figuring out what we really need is the hard part. Thank you.

      Delete

No Sugar Coating Allowed