Sunday, September 14, 2008

I ain't missing you ...

We were together so long, I thought I would love you forever. I didn't think I could get through a day without you. I thought I would never be able to give you up but things change, people change, and I think I'm happy to get you out of my system. I see you and think I want to bring you back in my life but then I think about how you really don't do anything for me and I get over my need/want to have you back in my life again.

I don't know if I believe the hype about diet soda making people fat. I know most of my skinny friends drink the full sugar versions if they drink soda at all and I know my dentist will be happy I quit drinking the stuff. The caramel coloring and acid stuff is really bad for your teeth.

I have to admit I'm a bit shocked I don't miss my daily dose. I would share at least 3-4 glasses on weeknights, would start my weekend days by having one with breakfast along with my coffee and would drink almost a liter or 3-4 cans a day on the weekends. I didn't consciously decide to give it up but when B was in the hospital I didn't buy any and just started drinking more water. I still have a few lone cans in the back of my fridge but they don't call me as loud and forcefully as they once did.

I was hooked after my very first taste. It was like a drug addiction. I think I started drinking it in 1982 or 1983 when it first hit the shelves. It was so much better than regular Coke or Pepsi and I honestly drank it just for the taste of it. When ordering in a restaurant I would always ask if it was Coke or Pepsi products and would end up drinking water if they didn't have my sweet Diet Coke. Some even say there is a Diet Coke Cult.

What could be wrong with quenching my thirst with a zero calorie beverage? Were the ingredients really that bad for me? What could be wrong with a little Carbonated Water, Caramel Color, Aspartame, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Benzoate (to protect taste), Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Zero Calories, 0g Fat, 40mg Sodium, 0g Carbs and 0g protein. I don't know if it ever did me any harm but it probably didn't do much good and I'll certainly be cutting out a lot of my daily sodium intake.

Was it just a superficial relationship? If I got out of the habit of my daily dose of Diet Coke, shouldn't I be able to get off the rest of the sugar and bad carbs I continue to eat. I know the sugar and white starchy carbs are even worse for me than a little zero calorie, sweet, bubbly, just for the taste of it, Diet Coke.

I don't know if I'm ready to say I'll never have another Diet Coke again (never is a very long time) but, for right now, I'm going to try to stay off the stuff and see what happens. That can't be bad for me, right?
(Necklace and other repurposed jewelry products can be found here)

8 comments:

  1. I've never really liked diet Coke, but a few years ago I was really into guzzling down diet iced-tea. And it had to be a certain local brand. I was "cured" of my addiction... lol... when hubby and I traveled to the Caribbean and my diet iced-tea was not available... and it was SO frickin hot that we had to take bottled water with us everywhere we went.

    And honestly... to this day I do not even miss the diet iced-tea. I haven't had it since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That jewelry stuff is neat...I spent a good 20 minutes scouring the site just now, haha.

    I used to drink TONS of diet coke as well, but once I started trying to lose weight the first time, I only allowed myself one a day...sort of like a treat. I still do that to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really had an addiction to soda (that's my brother's bad habit!). I've always been a water drinker but I have to say, there is nothing better than diet Pepsi with pizza (I don't care for diet Coke but somehow don't mind Coke Zero--weird!)

    I think having it as a treat, as Hilly suggested, is a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!

    Love the analogy. A favorite beverage is kind of like a relationship--I'd be crushed if I ever had to break up with Coffee.

    I never liked diet sodas as much as regular, but do have probably 2 or 3 a week. Don't believe they're all that evil, but still, water would be much healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was Diet Pepsi/Diet Dr Pepper for me. It's amazing how quickly the constant need for it fades after a week or so. I still allow myself to have one if I go out to dinner (once a week) and one on the weekends, other than that I don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CC: It is amazing how quickly you can get over the habit of drinking the fizzy stuff.

    Hilly: I'll probably treat myself to one every once in a while but I'm just not craving it (yet).

    I loved the jewelry too - I was tempted to buy the Diet Coke necklace but figured it would probably make me want to drink it again.

    Manuela: I'm glad you never had to deal with the diet soda addiction. I'm enjoying drinking more water these days.

    Crabby: I thought I could never give up my coffee but I switched to tea a few years ago and now only have coffee when we go out for breakfast.

    Boilergrad: I think you enjoy it more when you only have it once a week and not as your main source of liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm with you on this. Diet Coke was a sixth food group for me. I gave it up this past Christmas and realized that drinking it was mostly out of habit. I switched to water and ice tea if I'm in a restaurant or I brew it myself. I don't really miss the Diet Coke, except when I'm eating pizza..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was almostin---until I wasnt.

    Im not strong in this arena :)
    one a day.

    but only one.

    do I get partial credit?

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed