Monday, May 11, 2020

Captain’s Log – Day 56

Captain’s Log – Day 56

Hello Comrades –

I hope you all had a good Mother’s Day weekend. While I was having a bit of a pity party for myself, I came across a handwritten letter my mother sent me in 1995. I had just quit a new job without having another one lined up but I knew it wasn’t the right place for me. I realized I was no longer willing to be someone’s punching bag, been there-done that, and I knew I had to get out of there. She gave me some pretty good advice then and helped me again yesterday to get through another mother’s day without her. Check out her beautiful cursive handwriting with all her fancy curly-cue flair!


March 7, 1995

Dear Michelle,

Hope you are feeling better about your recent decision. You made a commitment to yourself for change. It was very courageous of you to let go of habits & people that are no longer relevant to your life. There’s nothing wrong with changing a goal even 30 seconds after you set it or even years later. It’s o.k. to realize the changes in your circumstances may have made the goal less valid & it’s o.k. to drop it & set a new one.

Remember, success is the result of good judgment. Good judgment is the result of experience. And experience is often the result of bad judgment. Remember what we discussed, that experiencing challenge, satisfaction & fulfillment from the work you have chosen is very important to enjoy where you are going every morning to spend over 8 hrs a day.

Take your time & find a job that will fulfill your expectations.

We have all made errors in judgment not clearly assessed – take my marriages for instance‼! HA HA

We all routinely juggle the many aspects of life on a daily basis – we just don’t step back & think about it methodically.

Experience is all a part of life. It only means that a new door will open for you.

It’s important to me that you are happy.

I’m glad you called me. I wish I was not so far away so I can hug “my baby”!

In any job, the road to mastery will provide promotions, money & opportunity to excel. But the key is loving your job & where you work. Life is a path of learning & growth. There’s no such thing as getting to the top & staying there without further effort. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Most people would not have had the guts to do what you did & would prefer to stay in a comfort zone with no change or challenge.

I wish I could treat you to a mini vacation to come down here & soak up some sunshine, but you know my financial situation cannot accommodate my wishes at this time.

Don’t ever feel that because of my personal problems right now that you don’t want to bother me with yours. You & Jimmy are my entire life. I love you more than I love taking my next breath. I’ll always be here for you. I only wish I was in a position to do more for you, but that day will come again soon.

Keep a smile on your face & always think positive‼

I love you Baby.

With Love & Affection,
Mom
XXXOOOXXX



As some of you already know, I’ve been having a really hard time lately like so many of us are these days. I know my struggles may be different but are no harder than anyone else’s and, at the same time, I know I have much to be thankful for. I’ve decided it’s time to make these Captain’s Logs private for a while. I certainly never expected them to still be going almost two months later but here we are. I may continue to share a photo now and then but these logs will be classified for a while.

I’ll still be here if you need help with anything or want to connect so please feel free to reach out anytime if you need help with anything or just want to chat.

Take care, be safe, stay home and stay strong.

Physically distant but socially engaged,
~MB


1 comment:

No Sugar Coating Allowed