Monday, February 18, 2008

Stir Crazy

I've been stuck in the house for over a week and I'm going a little stir crazy. I've only gone out of the house to go food shopping - the last time was at 8 a.m. this morning in the pouring rain because B woke up and wanted a ham and cheese omelet and we had no cheese or bread. I've spent the past week taking care of his every waking need and I'm exhausted. I'm planning on going back to work tomorrow and I'm worried about him being home alone. He still needs help getting in and out of bed. SY and his Dad will be around to check on him but it isn't the same as having someone stay with him all day. He hasn't slept much because he can't get comfortable in any position and now depression is starting to set in (for both of us). It's going to be a very long 6 weeks.

The first thing I did this morning was throw away a very large vanilla "get well" cake and a plate full of gooey chocolate brownies that B's mother made. Sugar is not medicine. Over the past few days I ate way too much cake and tiny little pieces of brownies before getting so disgusted and throwing the stuff in the trash. Even though it was making me sick I knew I would keep picking at it every time I walked in the kitchen. When someone hurts everyone wants to feed the pain with food and it usually isn't good food that will help a body heal. The comfort food people bring is full of sugar, flour and fat.

After tossing the cake and brownies in the trash I made sure I bought lots of healthy stuff for the week. I even saved $9.99 by using my free Purdue chicken coupon I won from Pasta Queen's chicken giveaway (thanks PQ). There are some amazing chicken recipes in the comments of that post so go and check them out. I still want to try the diet coke and ketchup one - it sounds weird but yummy.

Weight Watchers BBQ Chicken
1 lb. chicken breasts
1 cup of ketchup
12 oz can of diet coke
Mix together ketchup and diet coke. Place chicken breasts in a large skillet over high heat. Pour the ketchup & diet coke over the chicken. Heat until it reaches a full rolling boil. Cover and reduce to medium heat. Flip chicken once during cooking. After 45 minutes, uncover and turn heat back up to high. Cook until the sauce thickens.

This one sounds easy enough even I can make it. Looks easy enough to make when I get home from work tomorrow night. I eat chicken so often I'm always looking for different ways to prepare it but I don't like spending tons of time in the kitchen. Let me know if you have any easy chicken recipes.

Hope you all had a nice long weekend for those of you who celebrate Presidents' Day. Happy b-day Prez. Thanks for the day off. I can't remember the last time we didn't spend Presidents' Day playing in the snow. I told B we had to plan a snowmobile vacation for next Valentines Day to make up for this year.

Gotta run, my patient is calling.

Update: I made the chicken/diet coke/ketchup dish and it was delicious (and really easy). Try it, you'll like it.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the free chicken, hope B is feeling better, put a cell phone next to him, if he needs something he can call someone. Six weeks will be gone before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, a broken back. That's tough. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for B, and best wishes for you too! Sometimes it feels like it's harder to be the caretaker than the patient, doesn't it?

    Good for you for getting red of the tempting sweets. You're right. They're making him better any faster, and all they'd do is add to your waistline.

    Good luck nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo having that food around and picking at it is hard! that is why I tend to not have anything around because thats exactly what I will do. but I know you can find the willpower to avoid it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I'm glad you used your coupon! It's fun giving away stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey There!! Just wanted to pop in and thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog - I really appreciate it (and I love getting comments!).

    Take care! (pun definetly NOT intended) =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks--change is tough. I left my job last July after almost 12 years. Scary but much needed. Sorry to hear about your "patient"--I hope that recovery is speedy.

    Love your blog, I'll be reading you! I have to ask, where did you get the pic of the sexy bookworm? I want to start a mini blog of just writing and love to put that on. All the best to you (I love New England, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate, hate, hate being stuck in the house. It makes me tired and cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job throwing out the cakes and junk! That takes inner strength. The chicken does sound good. I think I will try it!

    I like to throw chicken breasts in the crock pot with a can of lowfat cream of mushroom soup, a sliced or chopped onion, a bunch of sliced mushrooms, parsley and pepper. Cook on low all day. When it's done, stir and add salt to taste. This is great because I can make mashed taters for the kids and hubby and they like the "gravy" over it. I like the chicken with some steamed broccoli or brown rice.

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed