Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Challenges Update


I know I'm late with my update but better late than never, right? I started writing my challenge update post on Friday but the day got away from me so I'm just getting back to it now. I don't know where my time goes. The days are just flying by and I'm trying to make the most of my last days of freedom because unless they decide to pass the vote for unemployment extensions I'm going to be forced to take whatever job I can get just to keep the lights on and my computer connection. I don't know where I would be on this journey without all the love and support you guys give me so I just can't live without internet access. As always, thank you!

Here's my update for the 101 Days of Summer Challenge and the Summer Challenge 2010.

1. Lose 20 pounds (average 2 pounds per week)

Challenge Starting Weight: 215
Week 1: 212.3 (-2.7)
Week 2: 211.6 (-0.7)
Week 3: 211.6 (-0.0)
Week 4: 207.9 (-3.7)
Week 5: 207.9 (-0.0)
Week 6: 209.2 (+1.3)
Week 7: 207.2 (-2.0)
Week 8: 206.4 (-0.8)

Looks like a roller coaster ride, huh? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I can break through to "Onederland" before the end of the month. It's so close I can almost taste it.

2. Hit the gym at least 4 days per week (not all cardio - weight training too)

- I made it to the gym every single day last week and managed to pump a little iron on two days. I can almost feel real muscles poking through on my arms. Imagine what I could see if I made more of an effort to get in the weight room more often. I still find it boring and have to force myself to get in there but I know the benefits will be worth every minute of boredom.

3. Push myself to get 99+ minutes of cardio at least once a month

- I got this done the first week of July but still want to get more super cardio days in. I don't think I reached 99+ minutes of all cardio any day last week but I spent over two hours in the gym on the two days I did weight training and have gotten at least 60 minutes on the elliptical every day. It's crazy how much I've changed in the past 7 months. Last week I laughed when I caught myself saying "I ONLY did 60 minutes on the elliptical." Who would have thought that would be a light workout?

4. Start C25K program

- This one is really tough for me. I know I should be on week 7 or 8 of the C25K program by now but I'm worried about injuring my creaky ol' knees so I haven't been pushing myself to get out of week 1 or 2 of the program. I'm still running more and walking/jogging less so I'm making progress.

5. Get moving on the weekends away

- We planned to go hiking this weekend but it never happened. I wasn't a total slug but I didn't meet this goal this week.

6. Manage nighttime munchies

- It's such a mental struggle of me wanting something sweet after dinner even if I'm not really hungry. I can't be hungry since I just ate but I WANT something sweet. I'm still working on this one.

7. Get more veggies, more fruit and more water

- I still got this one covered. It's been crazy hot here and fresh fruits, veggies and ice cold water are going down really easy. I even joined Kenz and Sean's "Positive Effect Water Challenge." I drink at least 64 oz. or more on the days I go to the gym but the water intake is lacking on the weekends. I'm making a conscience effort to stay hydrated and keep things moving.

8. Avoid as much processed crap and HFCS as possible

- We never made it berry picking this weekend but I've stocked up on frozen fruits for my green monster smoothies. Checking for HFCS is making my shopping decisions easier. If it's in there, I don't buy it. It's harder than you would think because that sh*t is in almost EVERYTHING. Can you buy stock in HFCS?

How was your week? Did you meet your goals? Do you want me to do a little cheer for you or give you a good kick in the a$$? Whatever you need, I'm here for you, just let me know.

I hope you're staying cool. Rock on, Challengers.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not a challenger but I'm all for getting healthier. Looks like your weight is really coming down during this challenge. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do challenges either. I always fall short ... sometimes for reasons within my control and sometimes beyond my control. I just keep on keeping on. I took to heart your statement "Last week I laughed when I caught myself saying 'I ONLY did 60 minutes on the elliptical.' Who would have thought that would be a light workout?" How true is that?! It's amazing and wonderful that our standards have gotten so high. Your progress is amazing ... keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The numbers are looking good! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember if I've given you this link, so please pardon the duplication if I have:
    http://www.stophfcs.com/list.html

    They provide a list of brand name items that are hcfs-free. It's helped me save time on several occasions (Yaay, bull's eye bbq sauce!)

    Also, things are looking up on the benefits extension. The fillibuster is broken! What a great reason to hit the weights! (hint, nag, smile, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I'm very impressed with your gym effort! Are there any classes at your gym that use weights? These might be easier to go to than trying to find the motivation to go in the weights room. I went to a couple of BodyPump classes at my gym - it was a workout like I'd never had before, but it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janell: It's such a relief to finally see the numbers heading in the right direction, huh? Slow but sure for me. You'll beat me to the finish line but hopefully I'll get there before Hannah's graduation. ;)

    Splurgie: I've always fallen short of my lofty goals but I'm learning they are something to strive for so it should just make me try harder and harder to reach those new heights. It's wonderful that we've raised our stardards.

    Debbie: The numbers can mess with my head but I'm trying not to let them change how I feel. The numbers will be what they are and I just need to do my best to get them moving in the right direction.

    Cammy: Thanks for the link. I'm sure It will save me a ton of time in the market. Hmmm...I'm going to have to go check the Frank's Hot Sauce (I put that sh*t on everything). YAY for busting the filibuster! I've never been so excited to see a senator get sworn in. Let's hope it all gets signed, sealed and delivered soon so I can keep those checks coming. You are absolutely right - it's a great reason to hit the weights! Thanks for all the hinting, nagging and smiling, etc. - it's all good and I really need some incentive to start pumping some iron. Maybe I need to start out in the weight room and then do my cardio so I just get it done or maybe you should take a trip to Boston and kick my a$$. :)

    Joanna: Thanks for stopping by. It's nice to see a new face here. Unfortunately, I have the cheapest gym membership around and they don't offer any classes. I'd love to take a BodyPump or kickboxing class though. I need to pinch some pennies and squeeze some nickles and find a good class to get me fired up. Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey - you won my 300,000 post giveaway! Woot!

    Send me your street address to bdl319@gmail.com.

    Congrats and Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say congrats on winning Biz's giveaway!

    ~Regan from Cabot Creamery

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stopped by your blog today. My goal is to lose 25 pounds by Labor Day (I started Memorial Day)
    Ann
    Less of Me

    ReplyDelete
  10. smentha: I think when I hit 40 I gave up on trying to get into bikini shape. Tankini maybe, bikini, no. ;)

    Biz: I can't wait to burn my mouth on your salsa!

    Regan Jones: I love Cabot cheese! Is there anything better?

    Ann: Labor Day is fast approaching. How's it look? If not Labor Day, there's always Columbus Day to shoot for.

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed