Monday, August 22, 2011

Challenges Update

Can you believe we are in the home stretch of the Slimmer this Summer and 101 Days of Summer challenges? It's sad that we lost a few challengers along with way, some are still in it but struggling and some are showing us how it's done. Wherever you happen to be on your journey, today, right now, is a new day and a new chance to get on or continue on the path you want to be.

I'd love to be able to finish out the challenge strong by reaching my goal so I can finally throw my arms up in the air in victory like Rocky after he makes it to the top of those stairs. I can already hear the Eye of the Tiger music. I was anticipating reaching my goal of 101 pounds lost by the end of the challenges but that may be just out of reach at this point, not impossible, but highly unlikely given the lack of progress the past couple of weeks. I'm a bit disappointed but I know I'll get there eventually as long as I keep doing the right things and staying true to my motto ~ SLOW and STEADY ....

I had another rough week but that's just part of life, right? Everyone has stumbling blocks and obstacles they need to get over or work around and mine are relatively minuscule compared to what some others are dealing with so I'm not going to complain (too much). Life doesn't stop throwing things at you and there will never be a perfect time to get healthy, it's never easy. I know I have to make the best decisions I can every single day no matter what is going on in the world around me.

I made up for last week's missed workouts by joining my sister in law at her fancy smancy gym on Monday for a double workout consisting of a Body Flex class and a Belly Dancing class. I'm pretty sure I burned more calories laughing at myself trying to belly dance than the actual workout. I'm not the most coordinated or graceful gazelle in the herd so this was definitely out of my comfort zone. I felt like I was trying to rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time. It was HYSTERICAL! I got my ass kicked at TaeBox on Tuesday and Thursday and hit the elliptical for sixty minute sessions on Wednesday and Friday in addition to the usual walks.

Last week I mentioned I had breakfast for dinner a couple of times (pancakes and french toast) and I wanted to clarify it wasn't the food itself because I have no problem eating pancakes and french toast occasionally for breakfast on the weekends but having it for dinner prevented me from getting my usual doses of protein and vegetables. I also notice when I eat lots of white carbs and simple sugars it sets off cravings for more. I prefer eating those types of food early in the day so I have a chance to burn it off during the day.

Anyway, without further ado, here's my challenge stats:

WEIGH IN

6/1/11 101 Days of Summer Challenge 2011 Starting Weight: 149.5 lbs.
6/6/11 Slimmer this Summer Starting Weight: 151.2 lbs.

6/10/11 Weigh In: 148.2 lbs.
6/17/11 Weigh In: 147.5 lbs.
6/24/11 Weigh In: 147.5 lbs.
7/1/11 Weigh In: 148.4 lbs.
7/8/11 Weigh In: 146.4 lbs.
7/15/11 Weigh In: 146.4 lbs.
7/22/11 Weigh In: 147.9 lbs.
7/29/11 Weigh In: 145.7 lbs.
8/5/11 Weigh In: 145.5 lbs.
8/12/11 Weigh In: 147.7 lbs.
8/19/11 Weigh In: 148.6 lbs.

101 Days of Summer Challenge 2011 Loss to Date: 0.9 lbs.
Slimmer this Summer Challenge Weight Loss to Date: 2.6 lbs.

Starting Weight (11/2009): 242 lbs.
Current Weight (8/19/11): 148.6 lbs.
Total Loss: 93.4 lbs.

Yup, another week, another gain. As much as I want to reach my goal, I'm not too upset about these fluctuations because I have been maintaining a 90+ pound loss and staying under my line in the sand of 150 pounds. I think my body is very comfortable in this range. I'm wearing sizes 4s, 6s and 8s, I feel healthy and strong and I'm just not going to make myself crazy trying to get to a specific number on the scale because that's where all the trouble started almost 30 years ago. It will happen when it happens. The most important lesson I've learned over the past 21+ months is that it's not all about the numbers, it's about the healthy habits I've made a part of my life.

HYDRATION

This month marks THREE YEARS since I gave up Diet Coke. I still find it hard to believe I don't even crave it anymore. I used to have Diet Coke with my coffee for breakfast and would drink three or four additional glasses every single day. Now I generally drink only coffee, tea and water (and an occasional cocktail). I'm still getting at least 64+ ounces of water a day and more if I'm working out in the heat so I'm saying hydrated.

EXERCISE

As I mentioned, I tried a couple of new classes (Body Flex and Belly Dancing) and got in some good sweaty workouts this week. It's crazy to think that getting in my workouts is the "easy" part of my healthy living plan. I'm sure it won't be so easy when I go back to work but I'll find a way to fit it in because it's a very important part of healthy living.

DO NOT QUIT

Quitting is NOT an option! I'm all in.

KEEP BLOGGING

Hi, I'm still here!

ENCOURAGE OTHERS

I'm so happy to see many of you working the slow and steady plan, marching to the beat of your own drum. Keep marching, especially you!

C25K

No C25K progress this week but I'm determined to get through Week 4, Day 2 OUTSIDE soon.

GET TO GOAL and START MAINTENANCE ~ FINALLY

Today is not the day but I'll get there eventually.

Stay strong, be cool and rock on!

Peace out!

8 comments:

  1. "Wherever you happen to be on your journey, today, right now, is a new day and a new chance to get on or continue on the path you want to be."

    That is exactly the motiviation I needed to start my week - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you deserve an AAA for the motivation part ... you do a wonderful job of encouraging.

    And your attitude about the weight coming off when it comes off really worked for me today ... it is about so much more than a number on the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, no diet coke for three years. Impressive. The belly dance class sounds like a great way to be active...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thanks girl!! One day the turtles will rule the world!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your posts and comments always put me in a better mood! You are awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi MB! I have given up soda pop too, but had a few dips into it over the past 2 years. I do crave it, but the acid is so bad for the teeth.

    The way you talk of your tiny weight fluctuations just make me think that you are going to do very well with this as a lifestyle.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have found too, that slow and steady wins the race. That is a mature attitude and the only one that will see us through. We all let that scale have too much power at times, too. I am glad to see you are moving beyond that. How great it must feel to be in those SMALL sizes! Wow! I also love the fact that you burned more calories laughing at yourself. Good for you. A light heart and step is important, too. Have a great final week of the STS challenge, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoot! I tried belly dancing once,too, and laughed so hard the instructor got the giggles, too. I basically interrupted the entire class, getting everyone roaring with tears running down their faces.

    I wasn't invited back. ;)

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed