Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Huge Loss


Unfortunately, this post is not about my weight loss. The city I live in recently suffered a huge loss. Our Mayor lost in the primary election yesterday because many of his supporters did not think it was important to vote in the primary election. I spoke to many people who said they were just going to vote for him in the general election but they will not get a chance to do that because he had to make it through the primary to be on the ticket for the general election. People really don't seem to understand how important it is to get out and vote.

I have voted in every election since I turned 18. I didn't always vote FOR a candidate but sometimes had to use my vote for the person I disliked the least. Our Mayor was the only person I wholeheartedly supported because he was an honest man with integrity and our city was being run by a bunch of thugs who were using taxpayers' money for their own personal gain.

It scares me to think what will happen to my city now. My choices in November will be (a) a nice guy with lots of money but totally unqualified; and (b) a lying, cheating, back stabbing, back door dealing bad guy who wants to bring back the corruption we just got rid of last term. I'm not confident in either of them but will definitely get out and vote.

I wonder what would happen if our right to vote was taken away. Would anyone care?

3 comments:

  1. during the last presidential i was talking to a mom with a son in the army who refused to vote, she said she just didn't care. and then they sent her son to iraq and she was all mad like "who's responsible for this" and i'm just like, uhm, you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy - Doesn't it always seem like the people who don't vote are the ones that complain the loudest. I work with a girl who says her husband votes for her family because she doesn't follow politics. I get so frustrated trying to convince people that every vote counts, it is what our democratic process is all about. I can't imagine what would happen if people stopped voting. It is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more! It blows my mind how many people don't vote. I feel like the minority in my age group (I'm 27) 'cause I actually know who's running for what. My mom always took me with her when she voted, and she always explained to me that is was my job as an American, not only to vote, but to be a well informed voter. I do the same with my son.

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed