Monday, July 21, 2008

Money Can't Buy Happiness ....

I'm not sure if that saying is true but I'm quite sure even if money can't buy happiness it can buy quality health care. I've spent a night in one of the best hospitals in the country and witnessed B receive the absolute worst care there. By law they cannot refuse anyone but they just do what they have to do and push you out the door if you don't have adequate insurance.

Every resident of Massachusetts is now required to have health insurance or they penalize you by reducing your tax refund or not being eligible for the stimulus package this year. Since B is unemployed he signed up to receive health insurance through a network health system but he doesn't pay anything so the doctors and hospitals don't get enough money for his care so they basically just push him away.

B hasn't been able to eat or sleep and can't keep any of the medications down because every time he takes it he just brings it right back up. I don't understand how he can be on antibiotics for over a week and not feel the slightest bit better.

We spent Saturday night in the ER at one hospital and Sunday night at another and he still isn't feeling any better. They refuse to admit him again because of his crappy insurance. It is breaking my heart to see him in so much pain. It is such a disgrace that our country can turn people away from quality health care because they are struggling financially and weren't lucky enough to be born with a trust fund.

I've had about 5 hours of sleep all weekend and now have to get ready to go to work and leave my patient to fend for himself all day. I'm so exhausted. I'm hoping to be able to work through my lunch so I can leave early to get back home. I'm going to go check my lottery ticket, maybe if I hit big I could buy some good health care.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that. I think it's appalling and you hear those stories all the time.

    I know that we have huge problems with our health care system but at least nobody has ever been pushed through the system because of a lack of insurance.

    Somebody needs to come up with a good combination of both systems.

    Wishing you and B the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manuela: I wish I knew who that "somebody" was 'cause I would definitely vote for them.

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed