Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Depression and Fat


Which came first the depression or the fat? Are people depressed because they are fat or get fat because they are depressed? I always considered myself a happy glass-is-half-full kind of girl but have had bouts of depression the more weight I put on. I don't know if it is a cause and effect thing. I'm happy when I'm eating heathly and working out and I'm depressed when I binge and slack on the exercise. So why do I keep myself from being happy? There are studies on these issues but I'm too lazy to link to any of them.

I feel so disgusted and betrayed by my body. I have traveled down this road so many times and have gotten so lost. I need to think positive and believe that I can succeed even if I have failed so many times before. What will I do different this time? How will I make this happen? I still haven't worked that out yet.

There are so many woman out there who have so much more weight to lose but have such a positive attitude you just know they are going to make it to their goal. I've read blogs of woman who have lost more than 100 pounds while I've been messing around with the same 5-10 pounds. I have to get out of this funk and find that positive I-can-do-anything-I-set-my-mind-to mentality. Maybe it is all about the attitude.

4 comments:

  1. I have struggled with depression a lot. And what did I do to feel better? Eat. Which made me fatter, which made me more depressed. What a vicious cycle!

    I think the only way to break the cycle is to just decide that we ARE going to break it. We have to make up our mind to do it once and for all. We have to choose to lose.

    Easier said than done, though. But we CAN do it... and we WILL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You CAN do this and you WILL feel better and more positive when you are eating right. I know you read my blog, but did you know that in December a year ago I started this weight loss effort and I weighed 273? I lost and gained the SAME ten pounds all year long. ALL year. By August I was 278! WTH! I so felt like you did. But finally something clicked in my head and this time I am not messing around anymore. I am down 24 pounds and once you get that much lost, the momentum sort of carries you on. You CAN do this. The key is to NEVER give up. Keep trying, over and over, until you get your 'click' and then you are on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so frustrating! For me at least, I find it helpful to start with a clean slate every day and focus my attention on what I do that's good for me, rather than on the outcome. Yay for me, I got some exercise! Yay for me, I could have had a doughnut but I had whole grain toast instead! Yay for me, I cleaned the kitchen! The constant acknowledgment of small accomplishments seems to help keep the momentum positive for whatever I'm trying to accomplish.

    But then I also specialize in being Cranky and Crabby, so there's obviously a limit to this approach.

    Hang in there--it's great you're not giving up, that's a great accomplishment in itself.

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed