Monday, November 5, 2007

Weekend Weakness

I was so proud of myself for not having any chocolate all week. I didn't buy candy to give out to the trick-or-treaters because I couldn't trust myself with it in the house (sorry kids). I know if it is in my house I will eat it even if I did buy those gross gummy things or something I didn't like. It was Halloween and there was chocolate everywhere. Every office I went to and every desk I passed had a bowl of something sweet trying to whisper sweet nothings to me. I resisted, I felt good, I made it through the week without giving in to all the temptation.


Unfortunately, my willpower didn't last through the weekend. I had ice cream, I had bread, I had pasta, I had more food than I should have but it wasn't a total disaster. I did eat all that stuff but I had reasonable portions so it wasn't a complete swan dive off the diet wagon just a little bump in the road.


I have been trying to look at the bright side of my weight loss efforts. I haven't been beating myself up because I haven't seen any real downward movement in the scale. I haven't used the lack of weight loss as an excuse to say "screw it." I'm not giving in this time. I've been drinking more water, I've been eating more fruits and vegetables, I've been eating much less sugar and simple carbs, and I have been getting more exercise. I'm trying to get satisfaction just going through the motions of eating right and moving move. Eventually the scale will have to give in and show me a loss, right?


I'm afraid to go all out, hard core, balls to the walls weight loss mode because that is what I've always done in the past and look where I ended up. I would be on a plan, any plan, and follow it religiously. I would lose "x" number of pounds and gain it back plus more. I know if I completely cut out the sugar and carbs I will lose weight fast but I want to lose it permanently this time. I can't keep doing the same things and expecting different results. I'm going to try the (very) slow and steady routine and see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. You are making progress!! The scale hasn't gone down but it hasn't gone up either! You are making healthier choices too and you need to be proud of that! Yeah, you over ate this weekend, so did I, so now we pick ourselves up, dust off and get back to the mission! We can do this together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're very wise to try the "slow and steady" routine! Honestly, I think that is the ONLY thing that works in the long run... and that is what I am trying to do, too. I don't want a quick fix anymore... I want a permanent solution. I want a lifestyle change that I can actually LIVE with... not something that makes me feel deprived and then leads to binging when I can't take it anymore.

    So... let's do the best that we can each day. Let's make healthier choices that we can live with the rest of our lives. And the weight will come off. But most importantly... it will STAY off!

    And yes, we're going to eat ice-cream, and pasta, etc. along the way. But you know what? Everybody does! We're just not going to eat it on a daily basis.

    Here's to lasting success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. from my experience the slow and steady is frustrating, but nevertheless, it still losing and losing consistently. that is how my journey has been.

    Dont let the scale frustrate you..even when you are stuck, just stick with the healthy eating like nothing else, and it will move.

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed