Friday, March 5, 2010

Hit and Run

What is wrong with people? Sometimes I really hate living in the city.
Tuesday night we were home watching the Biggest Loser and we heard a big bang. B asked "what was that?" I said "it sounds like a big truck fell into a sink hole." Last week we had a big sink hole open up down the street so that was the first thing I thought of. B looked out the window but didn't see anything unusual.

The next morning our neighbor called to tell us someone hit our truck last night. We were lucky our neighbor got the plate number. I'm sure the driver of the hit and run vehicle was drunk because he didn't go very far. You could follow the plastic parts and scrape marks around the corner to find a vehicle that was severely damaged. My truck was smashed from the rear bumper to the front bumper but the other guy's vehicle was destroyed. His airbag went off, his front right tire was twisted sideways and there was a big dent and scrape marks all up the passenger's side.

We met with the local police who towed the vehicle and then he went to talk with the registered owners who live about a mile away. The officer said they would probably say the vehicle was stolen but apparently they fessed up (through an interpreter) that they hit a vehicle the night before but didn't stop and tell anyone about it. My guess is they decided it was better to get fined for leaving the scene of an accident than getting a DUI.

I spent the rest of the week dealing with the insurance company, the body shop and the car rental place. The worst part about it is we won't have our truck for the weekend and we need it to be able to trailer the snowmobiles so we can go riding. None of the rental places rent trucks with trailer hitches so we need to figure out how to get the sleds to the snow. It may be the last time we get to ride since we seem to be having the same strange weather as Vancouver and the temperatures are supposed to really warm up.
I used to get really upset when my vehicle got scratched or damaged but after it happened so many times I'm kind of numb to it now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the body shop does good work and the idiot who hit us stays off the road when he's drunk.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that but at least no one got hurt.

    Hoping you figure out a way to get riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a frickin pain the neck!

    i hope you guys are able to get your sleds to the snow! you deserve some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what stupidity and pain in the ass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's disgusting! I'm glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a theory about big bangs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi MB,

    So sorry to hear about your car! That plain sucks. I hope it all gets fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a real pain but I guess it could be worse... no one hurt and all. I'd still be pretty pissed myself though.

    I hope you got to the snow in the end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that sucks! I hope the truck is fixed ASAP.

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed