Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Captain’s Log – Day 36 – All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy

Captain’s Log – Day 36 – All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy

Hello My Friends,

How’s everyone doing today? I hope you are well and have everything you need to get you through the days (weeks?/months?) ahead.

Now that we have been working in isolation for six weeks(!), I think we can all better understand how Jack went completely nuts in The Shining. While I am extremely grateful we are able to work from home during this time, I can better understand how people who work from home can feel like they never get away from “the office.” I strongly believe we need to take time away from the screens and phones and have a little play time or we will certainly go crazy.

When I saw the rebus puzzle below, it made me think of the puzzles on the caps of Haffenreffer bottles. Haffenreffer was a brand of malt liquor my friends and I used to drink back in the day (it’s probably the #1 reason why I hate beer now). It had several nicknames: "The Green Monster" (referring to the left field wall at Fenway Park), "Haffenwrecker" and "The Green Death" all due to relatively high alcohol content.

It took me a while to figure out a few of these but I eventually got them all. How many can you get?



Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get away from the screens and break out the games (board games, playing cards, Uno, crossword puzzles, word search puzzles, Sudoku, Left/Right/Center, crayons, gel pens, adult coloring books or whatever you got) and lose yourself in some playtime. Video games are fun but you are still staring at a screen so I’d suggest breaking away from all the screens (after work hours of course) and GO PLAY!



When the dust settles and our world rights itself again, I think we will realize how little we really need, how very much we already have, and the true value of human connection.

Take care of your physical and mental health, stay home and stay safe.

Physically distant but socially engaged,
~MB

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Sugar Coating Allowed