Monday, April 27, 2020

Captain’s Log – Day 42

Captain’s Log – Day 42

Hello Friends –

I hope you all had a great weekend and found some time to relax and unwind from the stress of the work week. Our calendars that were once filled are now blank or full of crossed-out/cancelled events. They are just sitting there waiting for the day we can start filling them up again. We’ve got nowhere to be other than right where we are in this moment so we might as well get settled in.

I’ve been seeing things in a whole new light these days. Ordinary beauty is all around us and is just waiting to be seen and appreciated. I certainly get some funny looks when I point my camera in a direction nobody tends to look. I’ll point it to the sky to capture treetops, clouds or the tops of buildings or I’ll point it at the fruit and vegetable section of the grocery store (not lately). Some people will stop and ask what I’m taking a picture of and then shake their head when I tell them. For years I was obsessed with macro photography because it made me look much closer at this big world of ours. I seem to focus on some of those everyday things we don’t even take notice of anymore. The things that are always there until they’re not. It’s like a telephone booth or a rotary phone - they used to be everywhere but now it’s a rare sighting. What’s next?

This is an ideal time for us to take in our surroundings with fresh eyes. If you live with others, really look them in the eye, notice the details of their face and memorize the sound of their voice. If you live alone, look in the mirror or pay close attention on your next video chat with friends/family and look at those details. Take a walk around your house. Soak in all the beautifully flawed spaces and appreciate the fact that you have a safe place to take shelter. There is so much to be thankful for even while our thoughts tend to be consumed by all the things we are missing out on. Life is full of wonder but it’s not usually the big moments, the “what’s next” longings or the “if only” moments. It’s in the right here and now. This ordinary everyday life that’s right smack dab in front of us. This is it.

I’m doing my best to appreciate all that we have to get us through these tough times while we wait for this danger to pass. Until then, we just wait.

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you get one more yard
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

Oh don't let it kill you baby, don't let it get to you
Don't let it kill you baby, don't let it get to you
I'll be your bleedin' heart, I'll be your cryin' fool
Don't let this go too far
Don't let it get to you

~ Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Take care, stay home and stay safe.

Physically distant but socially engaged,
~ MB

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Sugar Coating Allowed