Thursday, April 30, 2020

Captain's Log - Day 45

Captain’s Log – Day 45

Hello Friends –

How are you doing these days? Does anyone else feel like they are living in a never ending episode of the Twilight Zone or a dark version of Ground Hog Day?

I’ve been doing my best to stay positive, look on the bright side and find any and all silver linings but it has been difficult. The hits just keep coming and we don’t have any idea when or how it will end and what life will look like post-pandemic. As hard as things may be for us, I know there are many more people dealing with harder struggles than ours so I’m doing my best to be thankful for all our blessings no matter how small or insignificant they may seem in the grand scheme of things. I’ve been frustrated with some friends and family members who have been taking unnecessary risks by going out and getting together when they don’t have to but I need to keep reminding myself that I cannot control what anyone else does so I just continue to remind them to be safe and try to convince them to stay home and not take any unnecessary risks.

I know many people who think this virus has been blown out of proportion but when it hits close to home and someone you know and love is being put in hospice or struggling to take their next breath, it hits exceptionally hard. This pandemic is no joke but finding something to laugh about can certainly help keep us healthy and sane. After all, laughter can be very good medicine, right?

I’m so grateful to all of those on the front lines including my brother-in-law and my cousin. My BIL is pictured here keeping spirits up by playing the hospital piano while waiting for his next anesthesia patient. I strongly believe in the power of music and how it can help heal and comfort us. Is it a coincidence that “Sweet Caroline” just started playing as I was typing this? I’m certainly looking forward to the day when I can shout “so good, so good, so good” at a Red Sox game again. I always have music playing and I’ve been thinking of trying to organize a virtual dance party with friends. What else do we have to do?



My cousin is working the front lines in the ICU. She is the most positive ray of sunshine I have ever known. No matter how hard her days may be, she always seems to have a smile on her face. Even if you can’t see her beautiful smile here because she has her mask on, you can clearly see her smiling eyes (or “smize” as Tyra likes to call it).



I can only imagine what they have seen and had to do over the past couple of months. I pray they and everyone else working the front lines stay healthy and safe and I pray the same for all of you.

Take care my friends. Stay home and stay safe.

Physically distant but socially engaged,

~ MB

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Sugar Coating Allowed