Saturday, April 18, 2009

Cake Coma

Happy Birthday to my father-in-law who turned 74 last week. He is an amazing man who I adore. I knew and loved him even before I ever met his son over 26 years ago. He's been more of a father to me than my own father. Since he was out of the country last week, my SIL had a little party for him tonight.

I had reasonably healthy portions of dinner and a small sliver of the white on white homemade birthday cake my SIL baked (Mmmmm ... cake ... mmm). It was absolutely delicious and I wouldn't have felt guilty about eating it if I only had that one sliver. We stayed to play cards and after a few hours of drinking coffee and water, resisting all the snack food and watching everyone munch, I gave in and had another piece of cake. UUGHHH! Do you see a pattern here? I certainly do. When will I learn how to keep the sweets out of my big mouth?

By the time we left I felt like my head was in a fog from all the sugar. I was dazed, stuffed and felt miserable. Having a few bad beats in poker and losing money didn't help either (I'm still up from last week though).

I really have to stop doing this to myself. Why do I crave sugar when it makes me feel so crappy? Why do I want it if it makes me miserable and fat? Why can't I just eat one sliver of birthday cake? Why can't I get this sugar addiction under control? There is no doubt I am, and always will be, a sugar addict. Like an alcoholic, I can't have just one.

I know there's nothing I can do about it now except get back on track and work the sugar out of my system. I know when I start eating that stuff it just makes me want it more and I can spiral out of control if I'm not careful. What's done is done and I just have to move on. The only problem with that plan is I have a big Italian wedding to go to tomorrow night.

How do you resist all the food at social events?

3 comments:

  1. Man... I love cake. It is a real trigger food for me. My birthday is coming up in a few weeks... and all I can think about is cake! I really shouldn't get one... or make one... unless it's an angel food cake. I don't think I'd be able to stop at only one piece of a regular birthday cake!

    Hang in there. You CAN have power over the sugar cravings! The more you eat healthy foods... the less your body will crave the junk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sugar is definitely addictive so thats why its hard to stay away from. only when you can detox yourself of it do you really feel like you dont need it. but it is hard nevertheless. I dont think theres anything wrong with eating in social situations if you are eating because you are truly hungry. if you are not, then think about the reasons why you eat - because everyone else is? because it makes you feel less socially nervous? because its something to do? those are some reasons why I eat when I am not hungry when at a party or some other event like that. if I know I will want to eat, I try and bring something healthy that I can graze on without feeling bad afterwards. or I eat before I go some where and usually if I am really full and satisfied, I will be less likely to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same reaction to sugar, a little just makes me crave MORE. The best way for me to cope is not to have that sugary treat. I can think my way out of big portions or eating when I'm not really hungry, but if I get a piece of chocolate or something of the sort, there's no turning back ... Be strong! :)

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed