Thursday, June 25, 2009

We Lost an Angel Today



We lost one of our angels today. Farrah Fawcett lost her battle with anal cancer today at the age of 62. Every boy I grew up with lusted after Farrah and all the girls wanted that feathered back Farrah hair. I used to sleep with my hair in hard hot rollers so I would have that full bouncy Farrah hair. Mine wasn't as blond but it was close to her style and I loved it even though my head hurt from the curlers digging into my skull all night.

Farrah shot to stardom on the 70s hit Charlie's Angels. I thought Farrah was gorgeous but I always related more closely to Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith. I knew I was more like them than the blond bombshell Farrah was.

Farrah's longtime love, Ryan O'Neal, said "After a long and brave battle with cancer, our beloved Farrah has passed away. Although this is an extremely difficult time for her family and friends, we take comfort in the beautiful times that we shared with Farrah over the years and the knowledge that her life brought joy to so many people around the world." She did bring joy into many lives but it doesn't make it easier to see her go.

I could relate to Ryan and Farrah's reluctance to tie the knot all those years even if they were madly in love with each other. I think they intended to take that step in her final days but ran out of time. I hope they didn't have any regrets about that. It makes me think twice about my own situation.

Farrah was such a beautiful soul who didn't just cruise by on her good looks alone and she certainly could have done that. She fought to be taken seriously as an actress, she fought for her right to privacy and she fought the ultimate battle with cancer. She was an angel and a fighter. May she rest in peace.

"They" always say death comes in 3s. I was sad to hear of Ed McMahon's death earlier this week but didn't really shed any tears. He lived a good long life, right? The next thing I hear is that Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, went into cardiac arrest and died this afternoon at the age of 50. I grew up listening to Michael Jackson back when he was a handsome black man. The whiter he got the crazier he seemed to get but nobody can deny the guy had amazing talent. At least we will always have his music to remember him by.

The media is going crazy tripping over each other trying to get the exclusive interviews and lifetime stories. It sounds crazy but I wish Farrah and Michael didn't die on the same day so they could each get the full media spotlight for themselves.

Hey, Grim Reaper, enough already, that's 3, give it a rest. My heart goes out to the friends and family who lost their loved ones. Keep them alive in your happy memories.

2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful post. Better than any story that I read in the news today about their passing away.

    May them rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute. Certainly a day for many of us to reflect on the past.

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed