Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Time Keeps Tickin'

I remember when I couldn't wait to be a teenager. It felt like I waited FOREVER to get my driver's license, graduate, vote, and pretend to be a grown up with a job and my own place to live. I still don't feel like a grown up but I can't deny I have all the symptoms and wrinkles don't lie. The years seem to speed up the older I get. Weren't we just making those New Years resolutions yesterday?

The weekend days fly by but Monday through Friday 9 to 5 seems like an eternity. I'm convinced my lunch hour is the shortest hour of the workday. Vacation days disappear in the blink of an eye. Is it just me?

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that I'll be 42 in a couple of weeks. It'll be two years since I started this blog and I haven't come close to reaching my goals. I've wasted so much time trying to get (back) into the body I want. Will it ever happen?

I struggle for weeks to lose a few pounds only to gain them back over a bad weekend. I don't want to live the second half of my life wishing and hoping I did it and having to live with the regret. That's no way to live. I need to lose it before I run out of time.

We're not getting any younger.

6 comments:

  1. AMEN sista! But, the older I get the more I think: "you only live once and why waste time worrying about having the perfect body when you could be enjoying yourself?" And I don't mean pigging out and becoming huge again, but I do mean not worrying about every single little thing that goes in me gob! Or maybe I will get to be 80 and still not being happy with myself? What's the point of that?
    ANyway, I'm still pondering the whole thing.. and I'm bloody 50!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we're not getting any younger. I'm slowly approaching being not overweight anymore, and it's really not the miracle it's made out to be. My life still kinda sucks, I'm just smaller. I'm trying to fix the rest of it, but not totally successful. I guess removing food out of the issues I can't get a grip on took some time and effort, so maybe other stuff will come around? If you're happy and healthy and enjoying your life, you're better than most. I did have to stop hating myself, though I'm still not body positive. I hope you can figure out what you need to do to get to where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day I woke up and I had finally arrived to grown-up status. Actually it was the year I was 42. I'll be 44 in a week and a half.

    It's a hard journey. Damn, it's a hard journey.

    I don't know what the answers are, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I am going to be 48 in a couple of months and I refuse to grow up dammit!

    Still, as we get older our bodies are less able to cope with the strain that being overweight puts on it, so dealing with it now is a wise decision.

    Living healthily now is just one thing less to worry about - why waste our free time worrying?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like this is causing you - and has been causing you - a lot of pain. But this is the only life we get and I hate to see people wasting it on body-hate. Eat healthfully, move and exercise your body because you love it and it feels good. Stay fit. Divorce all of that from the number on the scale. I hope you find your way to happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you. It's hard to slow down and appreciate life.

    Well said

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed