Saturday, May 2, 2009

No Surprise

I can relate to Kirstie's weight battle. It's no surprise to me that Kirstie Alley regained all the weight she lost on the Jenny Craig program. I've been there - done that. The Jenny Craig program works as long as you stay on it but as soon as you stop eating their food, stop getting weighed by their people and go back to your old ways the weight comes right back on.

Kirstie recently sat down with Oprah to tease us about yet another weight loss plan that she has researched over the past year and a half while her exercise equipment was sitting in her garage. The day she moved all the equipment into the garage is the day she decided to regain the weight she lost.

Oh, Kirstie, Kirstie, Kirstie ... we've done this before, we've lost and regained and lost again but we can't just "go on" another weight loss plan. A plan that we "go on" is something that we eventually will "go off" of and that is why we need to break the cycle. We need to learn how to permanently change our lifestyle so that we eat a certain way and move a certain amount for the rest of our lives. If Kirstie's new plan is a lifetime plan then it will be a smashing success. It took me many years and many diets to learn that diets just don't work in the long run.

I hope Kirstie can figure out how to win her battle of the bulge but if her plan is just another diet to go on I have a feeling there will be another sit down with Oprah about another failed loss/regain cycle.

Maybe Kirstie has uncovered the secret the rest of us have been unable to figure out. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens and how different her weight loss plan is from everything else that is already out there. Do you think Kirstie's new weight loss plan will work for her? I hope she does but I have my doubts.

7 comments:

  1. Oh... you're kidding! You mean she gained it all back??? I didn't see Oprah... so this is news to me.

    Awww... I feel bad for her! I've lost and regained so many times over the years... I know exactly how she feels.

    I hope she adopts a sensible eating plan that she can live with for the rest of her life and doesn't try some fad diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirstie has her own diet plan... one she plans to market this fall apparently. It seems a bit premature to think about marketing when she hasn't lost the weight yet.

    I'll tell you, when I see Kirstie and Oprah and all they go through with their weight, I'm glad I elected to have a bypass. Not that I don't still have to diet and work out, just that it's a lot easier when I don't feel hungry half the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, a short-term "solution" is just that - short term.

    I know the words lifestyle changes are used a bit too often, but really, that is what it takes to lose the weight permanently. I am only just learning that (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sigh*
    Been there, done that.
    I don't think she will ever find long term success with dieting... as you say, it has to be a permanent lifestyle change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is too bad. not so much that she gained it back, but that she hasnt quite gotten it that "diets" dont work. you dont lose all this weight and then expect to go back to your normal habits. I heard that she is on a plan to lose all this weight really fast, and it just shows that unfortunately she will continue to fail until she learns that this needs to become her life rather than a diet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for KA but thinking about her very public struggle with weight just makes me tired.

    If I were her, at this point I would pull away from public view and try to figure out my issues with food and weight privately. It seems self-flagellating to go on yet another diet in the public eye (not to mention premature to launch a diet program!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. CC: I feel bad too but it sounds like she still hasn't gotten it and is planning to create her own diet to lose and gain.

    Kate: Kirstie is definitely putting the cart before the horse. I feel sorry for people like Kirstie and Oprah to fight the fat in the public eye. Can you imagine seeing pictures of yourself on the cover of a magazine with some horrible insulting remark?

    Fat[free]Me: I'm still learning too. I think I'm pretty smart but for some reason I haven't been able to wrap my brain around the reasons why I do this to myself.

    Chris and Heather: You are ABSOLUTELY right.

    Madelaine: Don't you think it would make more sense if KA actually lost the weight FIRST before touting this great new diet plan of hers? It is sad.

    ReplyDelete

No Sugar Coating Allowed